First Nation, Métis and Inuit Bursary
The First Nation, Métis and Inuit (FNMI) NADC Bursary is a return service bursary of varying amounts. Students in pre-apprenticeship training, or in a certificate or diploma studies can access up to $6,000 for their studies. Students in a Bachelor’s, Masters’ or PhD program can access $10,000 per year for any year of their studies.
The FNMI NADC bursary program provides funding for students in the form of a non-repayable bursary if you agree to live and work in the north for one year of full time employment in return for each year of bursary support received. Students must apply for the bursary for each year they want to be considered. The goal of this bursary is to assist FNMI students to obtain the skills and knowledge to enter or re-enter the workforce in northern Alberta.
You may receive a FNMI NADC Bursary if you:
- Have been a resident of Alberta for 12 consecutive months before the start of your program
- Are enrolled fulltime in a post-secondary program that is designated for provincial funding
- In a program that is at least 12 weeks in length for half of a bursary or 16 weeks for a full bursary
- Are not in default of a provincial student loan
- Can provide proof of Aboriginal Ancestry (see application for more detail)
Return Service Commitment
Selected recipients sign a return service contract with Alberta Advanced Education.
Use the Northern Alberta Development Council on-line application. Our applications are also available in PDF form and can be mailed to the NADC. Please follow the mailing directions on the form. Applications for a $6,000 or $10,000 bursary must be received in the NADC office by June 1, 2020, for the first selection meeting or November 15, 2020 for the second selection meeting.
* Please note that this application site cannot be accessed by cell phone or tablet. Applicants are required to use a PC to complete the application.
**Applicants do not have the ability to save their application part way through. We encourage applicants to review the PDF form to assist you in completing the application and having all required information when you start to complete your application.